Radio advertising is one of the top traditional marketing methods used today. This article explores some of the most popular stations to choose from when launching your next advertisement campaign.
Table of content:
- Introduction to the topic of radio advertisement
- Top radio stations: SAfm, Jacaranda FM, Jozi FM, 947, Good Hope FM
- Reasons to choose radio advertisement
- Comparison to other methods
Radio advertisement made its breakthrough in the early 19th century. This versatile means of getting your content out there grows vastly in popularity amongst businesses looking to make an impact.
Previously limited to just one or two ways of advertising on the radio, it has since evolved and today users can choose between three effective radio advertisement options.
- Live reads, sponsorships, and advertising spots are some of the most used radio advertising methods. Live reads give you real-time on-air, this is where a radio host or broadcaster will read your content to the audience at a specific time and day.
- Sponsorships are more subtle, these short advertisement types see a business sponsoring a weather update or the traffic time news updates. Ever heard your favorite brand announcing they are sponsoring today’s sports highlights? That was a sponsored radio advertisement.
- Lastly, advertising spots, this is where your brand buys a specific time slot to play a fun jingle or launch an exciting new customer testimonial campaign.
Radio changes every day, but the outcome stays the same. It is an effective way of tracking your success. These types of radio advertisements are a fail-proof way to engage with your potential new clients daily.
As a brand looking for a new way to reach better monthly targets and get a bigger following, you’ll get to choose between a large network of different stations. This might seem daunting, that is why we’ve decided to compile a list of some of our favorite options to use.
SAfm is a local English-language radio station broadcasted daily on 104–107 MHz FM. It first went live in the mid 19th century and grew to be one of the most listened-to stations on the air. This radio channel covers everything from local celebrity news to sports updates and everything in between. They have specified news spots every day where they broadcast hundreds of different brands daily.
Key features of SAfm to consider;
- They host various events and competitions throughout the year – allowing you to get on the train to marketing success.
- SAfm reaches a large demographic – people between the ages of 35 and 49 choose to make this their dedicated radio station.
- It is a well-known radio station with a large following – with over 50 000 Facebook followers, they really reach the masses.
Jacaranda FM, previously known and loved as 94.2 is probably one of the most listened-to stations in South Africa. This radio station caters to various age groups as well as different language groups. Their variety of fun hosts and the expert technical team make this station a must choice for brands looking to engage with a new target audience.
Jacaranda caters to the Limpopo, Gauteng, Mpumulanga, and North West area. If your market research shows new potential consumers hiding in these parts of the country then this is the station to use.
Key features of Jacaranda FM to consider;
- Great visibility for your ads on other platforms – Jacaranda FM boasts a very active social media platform giving you a larger reach.
- Widely recognized by most consumers – they have a listening audience of over 2 million people weekly.
- Covers the major metropolitans – you’ll reach some of the most influential consumers.
- They offer a great variety of different rates to choose from with various ad options.
The Jozi FM radio station was started in 1995 as the Soweto community radio, and soon became one of the most popular radio stations in its area. Jozi FM attracts listeners from all over its region. Covering news and other exciting stories in more than 4 local languages. Whether you speak English, isiZulu, or even Xitsonga, the Jozi FM team will have something for you.
Nominated one of the largest community radio stations of its time, Jozi FM is dedicated to a 50/50 program. 50% is local and international music adored by their fans while the other 50% covers discussions.
If you want to engage with a specific target audience in this community, Jozi FM is the station for you.
Key features of Jozi FM to consider;
- Jozi FM gives you reach to a diverse South African demographic – expand your target audience with a new group of active buyers.
- They have a following that goes back years and years – Jozi FM has a very strong and loyal listener group, you’ll reach potential new clients over and over.
Who doesn’t love a good 947 radio session? 947 is one of the most beloved and listened to radio stations in the country. Opposite Jacaranda, it is the station almost every knows. Their presenters have become local celebrities over time and engage with not only the fun things but also vital discussions needed. If you’re looking for a radio station that covers it all, 947 is made for your brand.
With over 1 million listeners tuning in to get their radio fix, it covers a very large demographic for you to reach with fun advertisements.
Key features of 947 to consider;
- Over 1.1 million listeners tune into 947 weekly – this allows your advertisement to engage with a much larger, active following.
- 947 has a very loyal audience – you’ll be able to include a whole lot of new types of buyers to your buyer personas.
- It is a very popular station – you’ll have a fail-proof plan to know that many people are listening to your radio advertisement.
- They cover the major cities – giving you reach to the buying masses.
- Their hosts are loved – many people tune into this station due to their famous hosts.
Good Hope FM
Another all-time favorite is Good Hope FM, which “connects” various Cape Town suburbs. This station targets younger listeners and offers a mix of R&B, dance, and pop music amongst other genres.
Good Hope FM has dedicated on-air commercial space available for several brands to engage with a new audience.
Key features of Good Hope FM to consider;
- They have a younger crowd following them – you’ll be able to engage with new buyers just getting the hang of our consumer-driven world.
- They cover a large area where you’ll find many people looking for new and exciting local brands to support.
Pro-tip; if your brand caters to a more eco-friendly group of consumers then this is the advertisement way you need to go.
Why should I use any of these radio stations?
Radio advertisements have various benefits. Not only do they add greatly to customer satisfaction they also engage with a larger, versatile demographic regularly.
Most importantly, radio advertisements offer a short lead-time with rather low production costs. This is great for brands looking for a quick and effective way of getting a new urgent message across. If you know that your marketing team handles business on a tight deadline, radio advertising will suit your brand well.
The top radio advertisement pros include;
- Radio is flexible, you can choose when to air your campaign and when to stop.
- These types of advertisements are versatile, it is not only one type of person tuning into their favorite channel, different people from all over listen daily.
- Does the job well, a good radio advert keeps the attention of your listeners, this way it is easier for your message to have a lasting impression.
- It is a cost-effective manner to market your brand, various stations offer competitive rates for your to choose from.
Radio compared to other traditional advertising methods
If we look at radio advertising compared to other traditional marketing methods, the proof, as they say, will be in die pudding. Radio offers consumers a fun and creative outlet to let go of everyday stress and rewind after a long day at work. For those looking to get a news update on local happenings, various news broadcasts throughout the day will offer this. As a brand, you’ll benefit from radio advertisements just as much.
Not only will you reach a larger demographic, have all your marketing bases covered, and spread your voice amongst the masses, but the results will be so much more valuable. Alongside its tremendous reach, radio also offers selective targeting. Choose your advertisement spot according to research done on who is listening and when.
It is a cost-effective manner of reaching your consumers with radio stations offering competitive rates and several discount options throughout the year. Look out for sales on big days such as festive times, Easter weekend, and Black Friday to maximize your advert time and content.
Radio greatly improves your brand’s awareness and will give your in-house marketing team measurable results in the end. Lastly, it is a marketing medium that is available to listeners 24/7 and blends perfectly with other marketing mediums. A radio campaign can easily be linked to a social media giveaway or more traffic to your e-commerce site.
Radio’s benefits aren’t limited to only these key factors. From creating a voice that lasts to reaching a new type of consumer, the value that a radio ad adds to your business could be vital for the new year’s success.
Still not 100% convinced?
It is time to consult the experts! Contact the PlaceMyAd team to talk about all of your marketing needs and which traditional method would suit your current business needs best.